[LAU] Ubuntu slowing down when using Ardour

Aurélien Leblond blablack at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 19:14:46 UTC 2012

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 10:00 AM, Neil C Smith <neil at neilcsmith.net> wrote:

> On 18 November 2012 12:44, Aurélien Leblond <blablack at gmail.com> wrote:
> > @David: In Ubuntu 12.10, Unity 2D doesn't exist anymore. And thanks for
> the
> > suggestion, but I actually doesn't want to drop Unity for XFCE - I really
> > like the look and feel of Unity... But that's a discussion for another
> time
> > :)
> >

> I'm with you on Unity - best desktop UI I've used since I had to give
> up on RISC OS in '98! :-)
>
> However, I'd question why you're using Ubuntu 12.10?  I now stick with
> LTS editions, and treat the others as what they really are - betas for
> the LTS's.  With the low-latency kernel and using the KXStudio ppa's
> for most audio stuff, this seems a pretty solid and usable setup,
> given that I use it as a general purpose setup with audio capabilities
> rather than a purely audio platform.

I'm using 12.10 because of other issues in 12.04 (especially USB soundcard
requiring a higher kernel to run ok).
Over the past 2 years I am having this laptop, I haven't been able to get a
single stable version of Ubuntu for playing music:
- Soundcard not supported
- EHCI not supporting USB 2.0 soundcard
- XHCI not supporting USB 2.0 soundcard
- Compiz being too slow
- FGLRX creating xrun

Now I re-installed FGLRX and it runs ok, but I forgot about another bug in
the couple FGLRX and Compiz that makes my CPU go 100% (this issue was
already in 12.04)...
I have all these issues reported or fixed...

I know we have digressed from the original issue between with Ardour and
Ubuntu (conclusion here: it's an Ubuntu issue as installing FGLRX fixes the
problem),..