[LAU] Synths for live use

James Stone jamesmstone at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 13:27:07 UTC 2012

On Nov 20, 2012 1:14 PM, "Paul Davis" <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 7:50 AM, James Stone <jamesmstone at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Yes. I'm just trying out different things. I had Debian on the desktop
computer for a long time (10 yrs without a reinstall!) I have Ubuntu Studio
on my work laptop and a minimal ubuntu + LXDE on the netbook.. I thought
AVLinux was looking good from pov of Jack performance but I am hitting some
problems with the apps installed (optimised for SSE2 when my CPU wont do
it, this linuxsampler problem etc..).

> not having an SSE2 CPU seems like a bad, bad place to start ...

Perhaps.. but I don't see myself upgrading in the near future. After all,
it has handled everything I havd thrown at it until now.. and I am not
trying to do anything dramatically different or more CPU intense than
anything I have done before.

I don't think Athlon XPs are that uncommon amongst Linux users given our
fondness for keeping machines running as long as possible!

Do you know if Ubuntu optimises for SSE2 by default? Maybe I will have to
start using Gentoo or something...