[LAU] New music made with Linux: Proggy B.day 2 Q

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Nov 20 16:37:49 UTC 2012

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 10:40:03 -0500
Al Thompson <althompson58 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/20/2012 10:37 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 16:21:17 +0100, drew Roberts <zotz at 100jamz.com>
> > wrote:
> >> Julien,
> >>
> >> I hope you are not violating someone's copyright with that silence.
> >
> > John Cage once just moved a glass of water, being absolute silent,
> > but there were reactions of the audience and this was the
> > composition. Some bands, IIRC especially grind core bands have
> > songs that are just some seconds of silence, but then it still
> > belongs to the length.
>
> So, if you "play" the same composition, but do it at a different tempo
> so that the duration is different, are you violating the copyright?

Somebody might play rests using the guitar, another musician perhaps
let two parallel plates in a vacuum play Casimir–Polder-force-notes.
However, the rests already could have completely different measures. We
should ask the performing right societies. In Germany the GEMA sues
kindergartens, they for sure will find a way to hear violation of
copyrights for any kind of "music". In Germany we've got famous artists
that aren't members of a performing right society and they are very
rich and we've got millions of suckers who are members of the GEMA,
they simply pay to be member of the GEMA and don't get money :D. We've
all kind of societies, e.g. VDT, you only pay for membership :D.
Times are changing ;), for the gifted artists and engineers memberships
are obsolet since a long time before creative commons, copyleft
discussions etc., this movements already started in the 80s, perhaps
earlier.

:D

But there's much bitter truth in the joke about silence and copyrights.

Regards,
Ralf
- never a member of anything :) -

--
"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as
members." - Groucho Marx