[LAU] Synths for live use

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Nov 21 20:06:29 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-11-21 at 09:24 -1000, david wrote:
> On 11/20/2012 03:39 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > On Tue, 2012-11-20 at 13:27 +0000, James Stone wrote:
> >> Do you know if Ubuntu optimises for SSE2 by default?
> >
> > I forwarded your request.
> >
> > https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-studio-users/2012-November/008688.html
> >
> > IIRC at least JAMin has a command line option not to use SSE2.
> >
> > I can't say something about a host for DSSI, LADSPA, LV2 and VST.
>
> Maybe Arch, where you can specify such options during the install process?

I guess the question for a host was meant as ...

if I shouldn't use Qtractor, is there any other host? Such as jack-rack.

I don't recommend Qtractor as a host for the stage, since sometimes it's
needed to close and restart Qtractor, because MIDI in stops working.

I don't have live experiences using Linux.

Regarding to a distro I recommend to take a look at the Arch general
mailing list. At the moment I avoid using Arch. There's a hard
censorship regarding to questions about how to get Arch working stable,
after it's needed to switch to systemd, there are still enough requests
regarding to issues caused by the transition. People who did criticize
the transition to systemd too much were banned. No, I'm not one of the
banned users. For sure, the time will come when I'll use Arch Linux
again, but at the moment I prefer to go with a more stable distro.

I'm willing to use systemd myself, I'm not willing to break my Linux
continuously with each upgrade and to set up the host name (of the
Linux) and do things like that again and again.

Debian stable, Ubuntu, Fedora etc. perhaps are better choices at the
moment, but the next Debian stable will come soon and current testing
IMO is to unstable at the moment. I'm not using Fedora, but in VBox it
seems to be stable. I'm using Ubuntu at the moment. The Ubuntu Studio
meta packages do provide everything I need.

Regards,
Ralf