[LAU] looking for command-line/scriptable mastering software

Eric Wong normalperson at yhbt.net
Thu Nov 22 00:10:22 UTC 2012

Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 10:13:21PM +0000, Eric Wong wrote:
>
> > I've been considering writing a make-like tool, but would like know if
> > something existing fills the role.  I haven't been able to find
> > information on using csound for mastering a few sections of audio, but
> > maybe that could work...
>
> Not what you want, but using Ardour's automation, gain curves,
> etc. combined with the 'export' facility amounts to some form
> of scripting. I don't know of any command line tool that would
> allow the same. If you want to apply some process on an audio
> file from position A to B, the basic problem is to determine
> A and B. Having a view on the actual waveform helps a lot to
> do that. The only alternative I see would be some command line
> player that allows to define markers, also offers some 'preview'
> facilities such 'play from T - N seconds to T', 'play N seconds
> starting at T', 'move T by N milliseconds', etc. etc., and then
> offers some convenient way to store such information for later
> use by off-line processing. I'd be interested to have such a
> thing as well, but it takes a lot of programming to make it.

I already pretty much do what you describe using the sox and play(1)
commands with trim.

I'm not _totally_ anti-GUI :)  I also combine sox trim with the
spectrogram effect of sox (w/ feh to open the .png) to visualize
portions of tracks.  I also use --plot=gnuplot with sox to
visualize EQ curves.

If I built a tool it'd support several command-line tools (starting with
SoX and ecasound, but maybe ecasound+LADSPA/LV2 can do everything SoX
does...).