[LAU] Synths for live use

Jeremy Jongepier jeremy at autostatic.com
Thu Nov 22 11:49:14 UTC 2012

On 11/22/2012 12:18 PM, James Stone wrote:
> 3) amsynth - works very nicely, but maybe not able to create the pad
> sounds etc. that I need.

Check here for extra banks that contain some very interesting and usable
sounds:
http://forum.linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9982&p=31975#p31807

> 4) Carla - too fiddly (for me) for live use.
>
> Now, here's what I seem to have come down on. Amazingly all these run
> on this little computer at the same time, and are capable of full
> polyphony with no major xrun issues (1024 samples on jackd - might be
> possible to reduce this further, but it is perfectly usable for a midi
> keyboard):
>
> 1) setBfree - lovely!
> 2) yoshimi - amazing!

You should try latest git, it contains some optimizations that lower CPU
usage drastically:
https://launchpad.net/~autostatic/+archive/ppa/+sourcepub/2769495/+listing-archive-extra

> The main issue I have at present is with yoshimi - i would like to
> change program (and ideally bank) using the midi controller, but this
> doesn't seem to work with the 1.0 version from kxstudio. Is this not
> possible with yoshimi at present, or is there a development version I
> could use?

Switching banks via MIDI is in the experimental 0.062 branch, not in the
stable 1.0 branch. If you'd like to see it in the stable branch please
add a feature request here:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=295223&atid=1246615
This functionality has been proposed several times so it should deserve
some more attention.

Regards,

Jeremy