[LAU] RTC/HPET timer permissions

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Sun Nov 25 12:23:12 UTC 2012

Brent Busby wrote:
> Is it still necessary or recommended these days for proper operation
> of audio apps to have a user-accessible /dev/rtc?

Not really.  Using the RTC or HPET devices directly is necessary only if
the kernel does not use them for timers.  Nowadays, kernels do, and
applications use the proper timer APIs.

You'd need this only if you're using some audio application that hasn't
been updated for many years.

> Is there a security risk?

The risk was that handling interrupts at a frequency of 8 kHz would not
leave enough CPU time for applications.  I doubt that you have any CPU
where this is actually the case.

Regards,
Clemens