[LAU] [OT] LV2 control for hardware device

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Nov 27 00:20:18 UTC 2012

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 6:42 PM, J. Liles <malnourite at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 2:02 PM, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com>wrote:
>
> On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 4:50 PM, J. Liles <malnourite at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> A 'driver' using libmapper [http://www.idmil.org/software/libmapper]
>>> would be more appropriate than a plugin, I think.
>>>

>> for a control device, probably yes. but for a device that does audio i/o
>> and/or audio processing, probably not.
>>

> On the other hand, if JACK had generic message ports and metadata as
> described here: [http://non.tuxfamily.org/wiki/index.php?page=JackWishList]
> the thing might be most appropriately developed as a simple JACK client...

the metadata API has already been designed. it is, as usual, all about
someone finding the motivation and time to implement it.

anyone is free to submit a patch that takes the basic structure of the MIDI
support and "genericizes" it. of course, that person would have to decide
which branch of jack they want to support, so ... grrrr.

even so, *if* this device is really something like the UAD or TC or other
external DSP units, then i'm not convinced that a JACK client is the most
appropriate or useful implementation, though it would certainly be an
option.