[LAU] Xfce - OT: RTC/HPET timer permissions

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Nov 28 12:58:04 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-11-27 at 22:25 -1000, david wrote:
> On 11/27/2012 10:18 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > On Tue, 2012-11-27 at 09:30 -1000, david wrote:
> >> XFCE works fine here on multiple machines.
> >
> > Version 4.10? What distro and architecture?
>
> 4.8 on Aptosid (Debian Sid). We have it running on 3 different 32-bit
> Toshiba laptops (Intel processors with Intel graphics), and 1 64-bit AMD
> machine (Phenom IIx4 with ATI graphics). It's also running on my wife's
> netbook (Intel Atom with Intel graphics), on 64-bit Ubuntu 12.04 or
> 12.10 (whichever one is current LTS).

4.8, e.g.on my Ubuntu Studio 12.04 LTS is ok on my machine too, 4.10 on
my machine, only running on Ubuntu and Ubuntu Studio 12.10 is broken and
following several lists it's broken on other distros too.
The issues caused for Xfce have workarounds, e.g. if you chance settings
and Xfce should ignore it, deleting the cache sometimes helps. Evolution
3.6 OTOH can be used with some workarounds, e.g. by manually setting
colours for a gtk config, but using it still is a PITA, slow
performance, spam filters don't work etc..

> One of the laptops and the AMD system have RT kernels. The one on the
> laptop is whatever RT kernel came with Musix 3.0 beta. The AMD system is
> using Debian's RT kernel.

It's independent of the kernel. I'm using Ubuntu kernels and a
self-build 3.6.5-rt14.

> My wife's netbook came with Unity on it, but Unity never got along with
> our preferred PIM utility (JPilot). We tried some other PIMs, but
> decided we didn't like them.

I didn't test Unity, seems to be buggy too, resp. the bugs might be
features.

> We're using the LightDM window manager on most of the machines. The
> Musix machine uses GDM, IIRC. What window manager are you using?

spinymouse at q:~$ pidof xfwm4
2388
spinymouse at q:~$ pidof lightdm
2062 1200

Dunno why there are two instances of lightdm running.

Regards,
Ralf