[LAU] [SOLVED] hdsp not happy with recent kernels

Peter Lutek peter at peterlutek.com
Mon Oct 1 19:08:05 UTC 2012

From: Peter Lutek <peter at peterlutek.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2012 14:17:49 -0400 (EDT)

> From: Michał Koziarski <koshimazaki at fastmail.fm>
> Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 22:40:56 +0100
>
>> On Thu, Sep 13, 2012, at 17:29, Peter Lutek wrote:
>>> greetings!
>>>
>>> perhaps some of you use RME hdsp hardware. i'm wondering if you're
>>> running into
>>> issues like mine with recent kernels....
>>>
>>> i've got an hdsp multiface hanging off an expresscard adapter in a T520
>>> thinkpad.
>>> here's what's going on:
>>>
>>> hdspmixer locks up soon after starting, saying, "HwDep ioctl failed.
>>> Metering
>>> stopped"
>>>
>>> once that has happened, if i try to start jack, i get this:
>>>
>>> plutek at palnote:~$ jackd -dalsa -D -Phw:0,0 -Chw:0,0
>>> jackdmp 1.9.9
>>> Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
>>> Copyright 2004-2012 Grame.
>>> jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
>>> This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
>>> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
>>> JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
>>> control device hw:0
>>> control device hw:0
>>> audio_reservation_init
>>> Acquire audio card Audio0
>>> creating alsa driver ...
>>> hw:0,0|hw:0,0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
>>> control device hw:0
>>> ALSA: Cannot open PCM device alsa_pcm for playback. Falling back to
>>> capture-only mode
>>> Cannot initialize driver
>>> JackServer::Open failed with -1
>>> Failed to open server
>>>
>>> alternately, if i start jack after a reboot *without* first starting
>>> hdspmixer,
>>> it runs for a few minutes (variable), then fails thusly:
>>>
>>> plutek at palnote:~$ jackd -dalsa -D -Phw:0,0 -Chw:0,0
>>> jackdmp 1.9.9
>>> Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
>>> Copyright 2004-2012 Grame.
>>> jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
>>> This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
>>> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
>>> JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
>>> control device hw:0
>>> control device hw:0
>>> audio_reservation_init
>>> Acquire audio card Audio0
>>> creating alsa driver ...
>>> hw:0,0|hw:0,0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
>>> control device hw:0
>>> configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames (21.3 ms), buffer = 2
>>> periods
>>> ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit integer
>>> little-endian
>>> ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
>>> ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit integer
>>> little-endian
>>> ALSA: use 2 periods for playback
>>> ALSA: poll time out, polled for 31999183 usecs
>>> JackAudioDriver::ProcessAsync: read error, stopping...
>>>
>>> i'm on the aptosid distribution.
>>> alsa-tools-gui is 1.0.25-2
> [...]

jackd has run long enough (at 2.9ms latency, on a non-rt kernel) that i am now convinced this is the solution to my problems. hdspmixer also runs fine now.

so, bottom line: anybody running RME hardware on the RME ExpressCard adapter in a recent ThinkPad would do well to turn off ExpressCard power management in BIOS!!

again, huge thanks to Michał Koziarski for the solution! i owe you quite a few beers (or other beverage of choice!!), if i'm ever in your neighbourhood!

cheers!
.pltk.