[LAU] Mixer4 1.08 and Waveplayer 1.0

Dan MacDonald allcoms at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 02:14:56 UTC 2012

Hi Lieven!

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 5:56 PM, Lieven Moors <lievenmoors at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 05, 2012 at 01:41:35PM +0100, Dan MacDonald wrote:
>> Up until recently my main player has been moc but I've been having
>> numerous issues with it under Wheezy recently so I've switched to
>> Audacious but Audacious doesn't auto-detect ALSA/JACK/PA and I don't
>> really need a X11 UI - curses/text is good enough and preferred by me.
>> I've tried cmus but didn't like it.
>>
>> So, is waveplayer going to remain just a wav player or might you
>> expand it to play wav, FLAC, ogg and MP3 (I need all 4 as a bare
>> minimum) and hopefully add sound system auto-detection too?
>>
>> Does anyone know of any existing alternatives to moc that do all this?
>> I really don't need any other features from a audio player.
>
> Hi Dan,
>
> You could try mpd with one of the ncurses frontends ncmpc or ncmpcpp.
> Those are my favorites. I think they play all the formats you want.
> gmpc is a very nice gtk frontend for mpd as well.

Ah yes - mpd. I know I've tried that in the past too but I realise I
forgot to mention it as I can't remember what turned me off it. I'm
not sure I tried both the ncurses front ends though so I will give
them both (another?) go and see if it does suit me.

Although I learned to accept vim (mainly because its the de-facto
Linux editor that comes pre-installed with most distros), I'm not a
fan of other apps that try to replicate its oddities so I hope they
don't involve lots of key combos and illogical commands to use - I do
appreciate mocs no nonsense TUI so I'm hoping for something similar.

ncmpcpp though? Seriously, that has to rank as one of the most
obscure, unmemorable and difficult to pronounce app names ever and God
knows I've seen some mingers in my time! :)

Thanks Lieven!