[LAU] Linux Audio 2012: Is Linux Audio moving forward?

Dan MacDonald allcoms at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 10:49:27 UTC 2012

Hi Lorenzo!

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 11:26 AM, Lorenzo Sutton
<lorenzofsutton at gmail.com>wrote:

> USB aiming at world domination, linux was probably the first OS to support
> USB 3.0 but... we still barely have a multichannel usb card which is USB
> 2.0 (or do we?)
>
> Example: still to mention RME-land: they claim USB 2.0 "class compliance"
> for the UCX, this is so that you can connect your € 1,200 card "to an Apple
> iPad or iPad2!" (sic - wtf?) of course "It won't be comparable to the RME
> drivers in terms of latency, though."

There are a few USB 2 interfaces that have been confirmed to work with
Linux/JACK such as the Presonus AudioBox 1818VSL if you need more than a
couple of inputs or the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 if you have lesser
requirements. There's more than just those 2 but thats just off the top of
my head and I've not personally tried either yet although I should receive
my Scarlett 2i4 soon.