[LAU] Linux Audio 2012: Is Linux Audio moving forward?

James Mckernon jmckernon at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 17:11:36 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 9:24 AM, Louigi Verona <louigi.verona at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey fellas!
>
> Would like to present an article I've written. Mostly wrote it to start a
> conversation and hear what others have to say on the subject.
>
> http://www.louigiverona.ru/?page=projects&s=writings&t=linux&a=linux_progress
>
> You can comment here or on my textboard (which does not require
> registration).
>

> --
> Louigi Verona
> http://www.louigiverona.ru/

A smart article - as another 'electronic musician' (by your
definition) using Linux, I'm always interested in your thoughts and
essays on the topic. I agree that things can sometimes look a little
bleak for those hoping to create highly sequenced,
synth-and-effects-based music on Linux, but there are ways and means.

Incidentally, I wonder if you've ever used Renoise? Not F/OSS, but
runs perfectly well on Linux, and is in some respects sympathetic to
the F/OSS ideology (saves to a simple, open file format, for example).
Anyway, it's the strongest candidate I've found for making sequenced
electronic music per se in LInux. Right now I'm working towards a
workflow of using Renoise as a sequencer to drive simple synthdefs in
Supercollider.

Cheers,