[LAU] [LAD] Linux Audio 2012: Is Linux Audio moving forward?

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 20:23:17 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 11:53 PM, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> What is missing is a concerted effort to advertise and promote the
> advances that have been made. We can't rely on the magazine and mainstream
> news media publishers to do it for us as they are clearly not interested.

Are they not? Good gods, what ever happened to genuine interest and
willingness to provide interesting reading? It's amazing SoS actually
published anything all them years back.

Oh wait, could it be that we simply have nothing of interest to them?
Like, you know, "oh, we looked, but it seems like Linux audio isn't
getting anywhere after all, but do let us know if you have anything
worthwhile coming"? ;-)

Or could it be that no one bothered to talk to the media in language
that it understands?

When did anybody last contact industry magazines and suggested to
write a decent overview of e.g. MuseScore that seems to be doing so
well lately, dontcherknow, with all the recent Bach hype and all...?

When did anybody last told editors of any of those very magazines that
he mixed and mastered a shitload of albums with A3 using latest
linuxDSP and Calf plug-ins which coincidentally work so amazingly well
and don't look like they were designed by a monkey on bad crack?

How did it happen that http://audio.tutsplus.com/ republishes same
tired "29 music-making apps for Linux" story over an over again
instead of some new interesting coverage? Why do they still have
"Create a Tutorial, Get Paid!" section on the website, and yet I can't
recall a single tutorial on explaining the basics of creating pads
with Yoshimi or suchlike?

Because, you know, all I hear is that evil media is so very evil. And
for some reason which I can't really explain it sounds a bagload of
excuses to me.

> Marketing companies spend millions of client dollars on SEO and manage to
> get a lot done with just a few dedicated people. We have thousands of
> users and each one of us can build a website or post links in forums and
> social media to the landing pages that we want to promote. Our sites all
> link up to each other anyway so it just needs some effort from people
> around here to spread the links and evangelise the platform.

Oh for god's sake. Inbound links are the past of search engines marketing.

Besides, what is it exactly that you want to promote? :)

> Having some killer content won't go amiss either.

I truly admire your priorities :)

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org