[LAU] Linux Audio 2012: Is Linux Audio moving forward?

Dan MacDonald allcoms at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 20:26:08 UTC 2012

Hi Alex!

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 8:32 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine <
alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 10:41 PM, Dan MacDonald wrote:
>
> > Back onto LVs article...
> >
> > He made a number of valid points but I have to agree it was a bit overly
> > negative.
>
> The way I see it, pleasing Linux users wasn't the point of the article :)

You're right, it wasn't pandering. LV is stating he's not entirely happy
with the state of Linux audio and he has every right to be. I think there
are very few, if any, people on this list who can honestly say they are
totally content with the state of play - I know I'm not entirely happy yet
but I think I'm a bit more optimistic than Louigi and I think things have
progressed notably, if not hugely, in the last few years.

Louigi wanted feedback and thats what he's getting. Everyones opinion is
valid if its realistic and well reasoned which I'd say all the comments
have been so far - hopefully that includes me! :)

> suchlike. Dunno if you noticed, but it's marketplaces and app stores
> what's trending today.

Of course, and I don't think the app stores are a patch on the 'Debuntu'
repos in many ways - prob because apt was well established for well over a
decade before app stores became a catchphrase. The amount of dross in the
Play market and in Apples store is staggering - I wouldn't even consider
the majority of whats available from them as real, useful apps - most are
more like installable ads and thinly-veiled spyware. As for commercial
software 'app stores' under desktop Linux, Ubuntu's app store seems to be
doing pretty well although I must confess I've never tried it as I've yet
to hear of any apps I'm interested in buying from it plus I don't run
Ubuntu although I've heard people have got it working in other distros now
too.

> Think of what could really make a splash in the wider community of
> musicians and then see what we have for that, here and now. That will
> be a quite working measure of the progress.

As Louigi rightly stated, up until now nearly all Linux audio users are
those who are concerned about software freedom and/or have been burned by
Apple or MS so hard they don't want to return to funding the evil empires
rather than than being drawn by the quality of the few apps we have. It
would be nice if in a few years this trend could change so that people are
using Linux to record with because it has become a superior audio
production platform but for that we may need Apple to screw up OSX as hard
as MS have with Windows 8 and more than just Bitwig + a few extra plugins.

To be honest though, I could care less about world domination for Linux.
I'd be happy if it wasn't just outright ignored by hardware manufacturers
and they had the good sense to at least co-operate with the Linux community
but there lies our chicken & egg.