[LAU] [LAD] Linux Audio 2012: Is Linux Audio moving forward?

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Thu Oct 11 08:12:31 UTC 2012

On Thu, October 11, 2012 6:27 pm, Louigi Verona wrote:
> When I started with music, I was using trackers. The tracking scene was
> non-commercial and any attempt to commercialize anything was met with
> contempt. Whether this is a good thing or bad is a different story.
>
> Anyway, if I wanted to explain to people how good trackers were, I could
> show them literally dozens and dozens of unimaginably good music. And
> people would admire trackers and many would get hooked up, in spite of
> the interface which looks more like a spreadsheet.
> And the tracking scene was huge.
>

> So I would like to underline what Alexandre says. When we speak of Linux
> Audio, I must admit that I do not have much material to show off.
>
> At the same time a relatively simple, but well produced tune I made with
> LMMS
> is one of my most watched YouTube videos. Does it interest people in LMMS?
> You bet.
>
> So, it comes down to very simple things - do cool music and inspire people
> to try
> the same.
> Is there a reason there is not that much music to show off? Is this a
> technical
> reason? Something else?

I don't get this, there's plenty of music out there. Something for
everyone's tastes. We are not missing quantity or production quality.

http://lam.fugal.net/
http://soundcloud.com/groups/linux
http://bandcamp.com/tag/linux?artist=1485551842

What we are missing is cocky, self indulgent, drug taking, sex addicted,
rock stars who preach to their audience that Linux is the reason they get
laid and make bucket loads of cash money.

Look at music videos and you will see a theme repeated constantly. If we
want Linux Audio to get a larger userbase with those kind of producers and
have that kind of impact we have to make those kind of videos showing off
the bling that we have acquired, the expensive cars that we drive, the
mansions that we live in and the multitudes of people that we have sex and
take drugs with.

Get Snooki's DJ boyfriend to make a scene at the next club he is playing
at if they don't have Linux software for him to record his latest mix
with. Pay Eminem and Snoop to shout out Linux at every gig in their next
tour.  Make a successful Trance album that only has the word Linux for an
whole hour. Pay some super hot chicks to dance naked on your next video.

But most of all make money with Linux Audio and shove it in peoples faces
at every opportunity. In this economy people will be flocking to Linux if
they think it will help them become successful musicians and producers.

Get rich and act like a prick. That will get lots of peoples attention ;-)

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd