[LAU] Linux Audio 2012: Is Linux Audio moving forward?

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Sat Oct 20 22:05:25 UTC 2012

On Sun, October 21, 2012 7:20 am, Dan MacDonald wrote:
> This is of course the Linux Audio list - MS bashing is only to be
> expected.
> Most of us ended up here because we are well aware MS are a proven bunch
> of
> criminals who are showing more than ever with Windows 8 that they could
> care less about what their users want - even the most die-hard MS fanboys
> are struggling to justify the latest Redmond hi-jinx and failings and the
> devs are just as unhappy, what with the super-draconian MS app store etc.
>
> I don't want to argue with you Alex as I respect what you do for our
> community, just don't try telling a Linux-oriented list that MS are Gods
> gift to computing - its just not going to go down well, sorry!

UEFI is the really ugly part of the latest moves by M$ to limit the
progress of open source. Not only does it impose another M$ tax on simply
starting a computer but it is undoubtably spyware and will include a
backdoor for <insert govt/pseudo govt agency here> as well as keylogging
and no doubt remote control too. Effectively an officially sanctioned
rootkit.

It's only because the Linux Foundation has created a pubic key/certificate
that non M$ affiliated distributions will be able to boot on motherboards
that impose UEFI. Thankfully not all mobo manufacturers are dancing to M$
tune so there are a few non UEFI boards in production and if the bad press
for ms8 which IMO is on a level higher than vista continues then it should
be dead in the water.

The howls of pain emitting from the general internet about ms8 are
slightly entertaining.

At least we can be certain that for the next decade M$ will not be able to
squash both Apple and Google to regain their monopoly of the desktop and
given that Android is installed on the majority of mobile devices being
sold these days it shouldn't be long before all sound card manufacturers
provide ALSA drivers too unless they want to miss out on access to the
majority of global customers.

> On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 8:59 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine <
> alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 11:38 PM, Dan MacDonald wrote:
>>
>> > Defend Win8 all you want
>>
>> You know, I tried to figure out how to best explain you that the world
>> isn't black and white, and that explaining things doesn't necessarily
>> mean defending them. Neither questioning points of view does. Because,
>> you see, questioning opinions is one of the things that makes us truly
>> human.
>>
>> If that's a too complicated of an explanation, we can always go back
>> to "you are an idiot" kind of conversation. Would you like to?
>>
>> Alexandre Prokoudine
>> http://libregraphicsworld.org

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd