[LAU] Some new music?!

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Mon Oct 22 03:41:07 UTC 2012

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 02:21:49PM +0200, Julien Claassen wrote:
> Hello everyone1
>   |Well more of a sound test and proof of concept. It leaves a lot to be
> desired, such as better playing, more thought, more frizzling effects...
> You get the picture. Still I wanted to share it.
>   An attempt at dubstep:
> http://juliencoder.de/q/test.mp3
>   It's mainly my NordLead3 (virtual analogue synth). the bass is made up
> of 24 stacked oscillators multiplied by the five oscillators used for its
> unison mode. Everything else - except for the drumkit - is NordLead too.
> The drumkit is Korg Triton. It will do for now. Maybe some time later, I
> will go back and do something more elaborate and honestly ernest with it.
> :-)
>   Any feedback on the sounds and basic production is welcome.

I enjoyed it, and that bass synth patch is just insane, but for some reason it reminded me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBStbd2B8Jk

(That's a video, but the soundtrack alone gives the flavor pretty well, and obtainable/listenable via commandline using youtube-dl.)

I didn't understand dubstep until I saw that video actually. Then I got it: "oh, it's dance-club metal! Metal you can dance to, using electronic instruments instead of guitars." I was perplexed by industrial music in the 90s until I had this exact same revelation.

Or, as Butthead put it: "The only thing better than a band that gets chicks, is a band that SCARES chicks. Huh-huh." Industrial and dubstep: dance music with testosterone.

-ken