[LAU] Fairlight

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 21:30:45 UTC 2012

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 1:11 AM, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> Anyway this situation is completely different. Fairlight are shipping
> products that already use Linux software. They have a legal obligation
> under the GPL.

To you? Are you their client?

>> Out of curiosity, why is it that every time some vendor makes use of
>> free software, the first reaction is "hey, release source code"?
>>
>> Is it the only thing that interests you?
>>

> No one did anything about Korg or Yamaha for all these years. What makes
> you think that it's everyones first reaction?

What makes you think I was referring to either Korg or Yamaha?

> Look at Groove OS too. Rui and Christian fed back a huge amount of their
> code into their existing open source solutions so nobody was upset if
> Lionstracs didn't publicly release all their code in a single package.

They still have the obligation, as you've just said yourself. You
might as well go after them. Or are we back to the old tried double
standards? :)

> In this case Fairlight may just not be aware of their explicit legal
> obligations. No one knows unless they ask. I don't see any harm if, for
> example the Consortium sends a generic letter by email and physical copy
> alerting them of their legal obligations and outlining the positive
> aspects of doing the "Right Thing" (tm)

That would be very nice and human. </sarcasm>

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org