[LAU] Fairlight

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 23:32:10 UTC 2012

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 2:10 AM, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

>>> In this case Fairlight may just not be aware of their explicit legal
>>> obligations. No one knows unless they ask. I don't see any harm if, for
>>> example the Consortium sends a generic letter by email and physical copy
>>> alerting them of their legal obligations and outlining the positive
>>> aspects of doing the "Right Thing" (tm)
>>
>> That would be very nice and human. </sarcasm>
>>

> Please explain why it would be a negative thing for the Consortium to take
> on such a role?
>
> Would you prefer for random people with no specific affiliation to do the
> job or would you prefer for it to not be done at all?
>
> Are you suggesting that there is nothing to be gained from politely
> alerting companies of their legal obligations before they get into
> trouble?

In the first place, I'm suggesting that you stop using "we as
community" and go back to the honest "I as a person".

Having said that, I quite admire how you can keep your face straight
while suggesting to "alert companies of their legal obligations before
they get into trouble" by using an organization (FSF) whose primary
function is to get companies into trouble over breach of GPL terms.

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org