[LAU] [slightly OT] old macbook Air (support)

Leigh Dyer lsd at wootangent.net
Thu Oct 25 23:35:34 UTC 2012

On 26/10/12 09:38, Julien Claassen wrote:
> Hi Patrick!
>    Seeing, that it is a first generation Macbook. Do you have experience
> with their soundcard, their Wifi? I don't think, that there really is
> more to drive. :-)

Theoretically, I think it should all be fine. Anecdotally, I had a
first-generation Macbook Pro (a little older than the first Macbook Air,
but not vastly so), and I couldn't for the life of me get JACK working
reliably on the on-board audio at the time. I think I even tried a
realtime-patched kernel, but regardless of what settings I tried, JACK
would die after running for a short while.

It's entirely possible that the problem has since been fixed, though, or
that it was specific to just that Macbook Pro (my 2011 Macbook Air is
fine, for instance), so I don't know if you need to worry too much about
it. If you do end up needing to use external audio, though, just bear in
mind that the older Airs just have the one USB port.

Thanks
Leigh