[LAU] [slightly OT] old macbook Air (support)

S. Massy lists at wolfdream.ca
Fri Oct 26 19:20:29 UTC 2012

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 08:01:37PM +0200, Julien Claassen wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>   I have a chance to get an old macbook air from about 2007 rather
> cheap, for the display is broken. The question I have: how about
> linux support of that thing? Sound in particular of course, but the
> rest would be interesting too. The Wifi and things like that.
>   Any fast advise would be very much appreciated.
>   Thanks and warm regards
Got a Mac mini 3 (2009) here. If it's really cheap and you want the
"intelligent typewritter" side, go for it, otherwise, don't. It'll run
Linux just fine, though wifi might be fiddly, depending on the chipset
they used. As for sound... Well, my personal experience with the Mini is
that it's difficult to get to work properly and the sound is crap
anyway. And your braille display will eat up the only USB port, but you
mentioned that already. Expect to need some sighted help for the rEFIt
part, and it breaks sometimes, at least did for me till I learned to
leave well enough alone. Still might be good though, just depends how
cheap and what your expectations are.
HTH
Cheers,
S.M.