[LAU] OT: New i7 rig, Gfx card recomendations and more.

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sat Oct 27 22:18:13 UTC 2012

On Sat, October 27, 2012 1:50 pm, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

>> PCI is dead,
>
> Alot of people would love to upgrade their older pci cards to new mobos.
> It's becoming a real hassle to find boards that allow that.

As an owner of an older PCI audio interface... I have been putting some
thought to this. I remember that there was a time not too long ago when
people were using old DX100s as routers. Boot from a floppy and run in
memory (not much either), no drive, no fan in the PSU or on the CPU.

Maybe instead of getting rid of the old MB... pull the graphics card
(first thing to go anyway) Run a minimal linux (terminal only) that runs
netjack. Now you have an ethernet sound interface. Plug into the new box
(maybe on it's own NIC) and run netjack instead of jackd.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net