[LAU] OT: New i7 rig, Gfx card recomendations and more.

Kaza Kore dj_kaza at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 30 12:54:44 UTC 2012

Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2012 22:19:39 +0200
From: arnold at arnoldarts.de
To: linux-audio-user at lists.linuxaudio.org
Subject: Re: [LAU] OT: New i7 rig, Gfx card recomendations and more.

On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 10:46:49 +0000 Kaza Kore <dj_kaza at hotmail.com>
wrote:
> TL/DR:
> Z68 - works with RAID5 on SATA2 ports OK?
> RME HDSP card - PCI or PCIe?
> Gfx card recommendations??
> Or persuade me to go for a cheaper rig as I probably don't really
> need all that...
>
> Regards, Dale.

Regarding the raid5:
http://www.miracleas.com/BAARF/

And we (as the business I work for) have dismissed hw-raid in general.
A while back you only got problems if your controller broke and you
didn't have the same again. Nowadays you even get problems when you
update the firmware of the controller (or when your cold-standby
doesn't have the correct fw-version). Just stay away from it.

With something that is going to be quite so mobile I really preferably
do want to be running the OS off a RAIDed drive! Sure I could use a
single drive and regularly ghost it to a backup one at home but this
isn't going to help me if it gets damaged on the way to a party. Well
guess it might if I also take the spare and backup after every event...
RAID seems so much more suited to the job though!

For the Mobo: Use something from a brand known for quality. Asus might
do okayish laptops, their boards are almost as crap as asrock. For an
intel-system, why not use an intel board? The higher price is _small_
when you take the higher quality into account. High-quality boards
last much longer and work better.

Asus known as being shit? I admit I haven't done much researched into
hardware since I built my last desktop I think in 2001 and that definitely
didn't seem to be the consensus then. And it seems weird that we would
chose a known poor component for video ingest servers which are to be on
24/7, although it is already the third revision of the build. So what
would you recommend?

PCI is dead, any graphics card with linux-support is good. Now the
salesman in me takes over: intel is actively supporting the
linux-community also in the graphics field, not like nvidia. Yes, we
are an intel-reseller. We only see other hardware when its broken and
the customers want us to fix it or get the data of from it.

Yeah PCI is definitely on the way out! But dead just yet? Almost every
board I've looked at has at least 1 for legacy reasons. I guess the same
was true for ISA for a while after PCI came out though and those were
gone off 99% of boards many years ago... My thoughts were more trying
to ensure that the support for the PCIe version of the HDSP card was as
supported as the PCI version.

So I will look at an ATI card then :-)

Although I am slightly leaning towards trying to get my old P4 computer
back up and working and see quite how underpowered for what I want to do
it turns out to be. I think the graphics card is the only fully dead component...

Cheers to everybody who has responded.

Dale.