[LAU] Audio distro for a Macbook pro

Al Thompson althompson58 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 14:13:28 UTC 2012

On 10/30/2012 09:55 AM, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 12:49 AM, Al Thompson <althompson58 at gmail.com
> <mailto:althompson58 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     So a friend of mine at work has decided she wants to check out
>     audio and
>     MIDI on Linux.  BUT, she has a Macbook Pro, and I've never paid any
>     attention to distros that were for Macs.  What's a good audio/MIDI
>     (plus
>     general purpose) distro that is easy to get running on a Macbook Pro?
>

> its hard to see why she would not use OS X on her MBP if audio/midi is
> the goal.  not all, but several of the better FOSS apps are available
> for OS X, and that only adds to the vastly improved array of FX and
> synth plugins on OS X.
>
> i appreciate that there may be a principle at work here, but honestly,
> she'll get more done with OS X unless she is herself a natural
> tinkerer and/or has "odd" needs (e.g. academic electroacoustic music)

I think there are two primary triggers for her decision: she has
listened to a few of us at work extolling the virtues of Linux, and; she
abhors "corporate-ism."  If the general consensus is that she would be
better off sticking with OS-X, I may suggest it.  I have very little
experience with it personally, and 90% of my exposure has been from
"fanbois" who would be blind to even its most fatal flaws.  I'm not even
sure of the current state of OS-X FOSS audio/MIDI software.

--
---
My bands, CD projects, music, news, and pictures:

  http://www.lateralforce.com

My blog, with commentary on a variety of things, including audio,
mixing, equipment, etc, is at:
   http://audioandmore.wordpress.com

Staat heißt das kälteste aller kalten Ungeheuer.  Kalt lügt es auch;
und diese Lüge kriecht aus seinem Munde: 'Ich, der Staat, bin das Volk.'
                                                - [Friedrich Nietzsche]