[LAU] Audio distro for a Macbook pro

Charles Henry czhenry at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 19:46:22 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 11:23 AM, Lorenzo Sutton
<lorenzofsutton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30/10/12 14:55, Paul Davis wrote:
>>

> ar I
>
>> she'll get more done with OS X unless she is herself a natural tinkerer
>> and/or has "odd" needs (e.g. academic electroacoustic music)
>

> Alas, as far as I can tell from my very personal totally-non-scientific
> survey, in _Italy_ so-called "academic electroacoustic music" is using 58%
> OSX, 41.9% Windows, 0.1% other OS.
>
> Last year I did a linux audio seminar for non-linux pleople, and knowing the
> above statistics in advance I searched for a live distro which would run on
> macs, AVLinux proved the best, only problem I couldn't get wifi to work. I
> must say that my requirement was to have a multimedia distro ready to go and
> which would just run from a CD
>
> Lorenzo.

Getting wifi drivers for Linux on mac means having to extract the wifi
firmware from the OSX proprietary driver.  So, knowing that, it's not
surprising that wifi on a Linux LiveCD will not work for macs.  Nobody
is likely to extract all the possible firmwares you would need and
package them with Linux (it might even be illegal to distribute those
binaries that way).

Chuck