[LAU] Linux FLOSS video

Brett McCoy idragosani at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 19:51:46 UTC 2012

On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 3:27 PM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> It's not OT, since film/video and audio are related. Patrick asked what
> is provided and used on Mac and Windows and missing for Linux.
> Excepted of Linux stand alone devices, resp. special hardware/software
> solutions nobody can't have at home, perhaps Robin can, but usually we
> can't pay for it and excepted of some people drawing a complete
> animation film alone, there is software available, that isn't available
> for Linux.

TVPaint is available for Linux. It's not an inexpensive application,
however, but it one of the best applications for creating hand-drawn
animation in the industry. There are some free apps, too, like Pencil
and Gimp Animation Plugin, and of course, Synfig for vector animation.

> Companies see what's available and much used on Mac and Windows and if
> Linux doesn't provide this, then for sure many companies aren't
> interested in Linux as a market.

That is indeed the biggest issue... it's going to be much harder to
get commercial interest in audio software on LInux, because there is
this perception that no one is using it... so people don't use Linux
because there aren't commercial apps on it. The film world has had a
better time of it because there have been a couple of big films early
on that used Linux for the rendering pipeline, so there is a lot more
stuff available for Linux commercially.

--
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com