[LAU] [LAD] Kontakt sampler format (and others like EXS24)

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Sep 4 07:47:22 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-09-04 at 07:01 +0200, hermann meyer wrote:
> I cant develop all the apps which be available for windows/MAC, simply
> because I haven’t the time

The current Linux audio user base isn't missing all this Windows and Mac
apps. Yes, I'm missing some apps, but I anyway don't use Windows or
wineasio and others from this list sometimes connect Linux to a Windows
machine to get e.g. one special synth, but Linux does fit to our needs.

In contrast too Patrick I won't call software most of us don't need
"crap". We are a small user base, but out there are many other audio
users, with different needs. A huge market (hard not to quote Bill
Hicks ;)! Higher than the Linux audio market. Companies need to make
profit.

If we want companies to listen to us, the Linux user base must grow. The
Linux user base will grow if understanding Linux will become easier and
more different needs will be satisfied.

Regarding to the better support of the Linux community, compared to bad
support by proprietary software companies, I have to mention that there
are also Mac and Windows communities. For inexperienced users it's
easier to join such communities, because there's no
"self-responsibility" expected.

On the long term the concept off FLOSS is what mankind needs, because of
it's advantages, but at the moment we suffer from disadvantages
regarding to consume.

I don't think that beating the big drum for Linux will change much. IMO
socio-political changes are needed. In Europe the Pirate Party is for
"reform of copyright and patent law, free sharing of knowledge" -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirate_Party . A reformed society will
increase the Linux (audio) user base and base of coders too.

Regards,
Ralf