[LAU] Too many xruns

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at cosgroves.us
Wed Sep 5 04:17:36 UTC 2012

Hello,

I'm trying to record on a new system, and I'm getting xruns.  My
old system produced no xruns.

The problem system runs:

  Fedora 17
  Kernel 3.5.2-3.fc17.x86_64
  Ardour 2.8.14
  JACK 1.9.8
  Intel i7, 16GB RAM, SATA 6Gb/s drives

My user ID is a member of the "jackuser" group.

Jack is running as:

/usr/bin/jackd \
  -T -ndefault -p 256 -R -P 60 -T -d alsa -n 2 -r 48000 -p 1024 -d hw:2,0

In 43 minutes I've had almost 6700 xruns.

The working system runs:

  Mandriva 2010.2
  Kernel 2.6.33.7-server-2mnb
  Ardour 2.8.11
  JACK 1.9.5
  Intel Q9650, 4GB RAM, IDE drives

Reading through the CCRMA documentation here:

http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/installplanetsixteen.html

It looks like the kernel and jack for F17 are built for "proper
realtime priority".  What am I missing.  Is there something
I need to do beyond being a member of "jackuser" in order to
operate with acceptable xruns?

I think I'll go back to the old system for a while.

Thanks....

--
Kevin