[LAU] Too many xruns

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at cosgroves.us
Thu Sep 6 17:08:51 UTC 2012

On 6 September 2012 at 10:01, "Len Ovens" <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:

> MB manufactures have not really built with audio use in mind
> (or perhaps any RT use) except for the internal audio IF which
> you will notice has the highest irq (which has the highest
> priority on an OS that doesn't have secondary prioritizing like
> Linux) And that it does not share it's irq with anything. And
> they are not even looking for low latency. New MBs expect any
> timing critical to be in the PCIe slots... They figure the old
> PCI stuff was used to slow machines ... Still a good bios may
> be able to change this. Maybe take one of the slots out of PNP
> mode and assign a clear or almost clear irq (may have to be in
> the 1-16 range) The MB may then work around that.

Tell me about it.  I have need for high channel counts.  My drums
alone really want 11 channels.  I'm not hearing good things about
trying to chain multiple high channel count firewire interfaces.
I don't see any audio interfaces built for new PCI slots.  That
leaves me with legacy PCI, and MB manufacturers are leaving that
by the wayside.  Ugh.

Again, thanks for the advise....

--
Kevin