[LAU] Praat problems - no more console usage?

Julien Claassen julien at mail.upb.de
Thu Sep 6 21:52:03 UTC 2012

Hello everyone1
   Is anyone here a little familiar with praat? Praat is supposed to run on the
commandline, accepting its scripting languages. But when I ran praat just now
- after years of no use -, I only get this:
> praat -
(praat:25242): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
   On the praat webstie, this method is still mentioned in the tutorial as
acceptable.
   I'm running Debian Squeeze and Praat 5.1.42-1 from the Debian repository.
Last time I started it must have beenunder Debian Lenny.
   Does anyone have any suggestion? all the libraries are correctly installed,
or should be. I did work with GNOME a little on this release.
   Warm regards
            Julien