[LAU] PCIe audio gear [was: Too many xruns]

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Fri Sep 7 04:52:56 UTC 2012

On Thu, September 6, 2012 8:57 pm, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-09-06 at 20:35 -0700, Len Ovens wrote:
>> I just had to look... and sure enough they do exist:
>> http://ca.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/Slot-Extension/PCI-Express-to-PCI-Adapter-Card~PEX1PCI1
>
> Are such adapters ok for audio IO cards? Latency? Audio jitter? MIDI
> jitter? Etc.?

Could be better. The bridge will be the same as what the MB supplies for
it's PCI slots. The extra power plug means cleaner power and enough drive
for the analog audio circuitry. Latency will be the same. Audio jitter is
more effected by whats in the card itself. The second link I gave
(http://www.jrigg.co.uk/elec/interface.html) actually goes into some
detail about that. MIDI is slow at 3khz for words and half that for a key
down event. I wish I could use my boca board for that (from BBS days) with
16 uarts. 16 outputs one for each synth. But I think it is actually an isa
board. If I ever use it again it will be with netboot dx66 or something
and just enough OS to get it to network. Anyway, jitter is more in the
software and drivers and how they handle (or don't) the midi signal.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net