[LAU] Too many xruns

Jeremy Jongepier jeremy at autostatic.com
Fri Sep 7 11:02:49 UTC 2012

On 09/07/12 12:46, Joakim Hernberg wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 11:40:33 +0200
> Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy at autostatic.com> wrote:
>
>> On 09/07/12 11:23, Joakim Hernberg wrote:
>>> All soft interrupts run at 50 by default, so they are all "raised"
>>> by default.. Empirical testing on a couple of machines shows that
>>> it is indeed beneficial to raise the priority of associated soft
>>> interrupt threads.
>
>> So you suggest to raise the priority of associated soft interrupt
>> threads higher than the default prio of 50?
>
> Yes I do.  Quite possibly the situation has changed since 2011, as the
> rt patch is constantly evolving and being merged into vanilla..  I also
> verified my results by asking the rt devs on IRC (not that this
> constitutes proof), and a couple of them concurred that this would
> indeed be good practice.

In fact, if you think about it it makes good sense. If each softirq has
its own priority and doesn't share it with another softirq they don't
get in the way for the scheduler.

>>> There is so much hearsay and mumbo jumbo about linux audio floating
>>> around, that I would not make such a statement without having a
>>> foundation for it..
>
>> If this is addressed to me personally, I don't base my statements on
>> hearsay and mumbo jumbo. I've addressed this specific topic on
>> LAC2011 in front of an audience with very knowledgeable people. If I
>> were postulating statements without having a foundation for it at
>> that talk the audience would've pointed me towards that.
>> I could have misunderstood your mail of course, it is not totally
>> clear to whom you address your reproaches. If so I apologize
>> beforehand.
>
> I'm sorry if it came across as a personal reproach, it was in no way
> intended as such!

Ok, misinterpretation on my part.

   It was more of a general statement about linux
> audio and the associated lore floating around on the nets, much of it
> outdated or even untrue nowdays.  What I wanted to make clear is that I
> was not simply repeating some advice found on the internet somewhere,
> but rather based my comment on personal experience.

Cleared. And couldn't agree more.

Best,

Jeremy