[LAU] A praat question - optimising quality of speaker change

Julien Claassen julien at mail.upb.de
Thu Sep 13 17:19:05 UTC 2012

Hello everyone!
   Ihave been experimenting with Praat. I'm using it to change the speaker,
meaning: changing pitch, vowels and relativ pitch range. I'm assuming, that
they use something based on FFT. But they don't allow access to underlying
parameters. Perhaps - on the other hand - they're using something different.
   My question is: How can I optimise the output result? I don't need pitch
perfection, since I'm experimenting for a small radioplay project. currently
I'm mainly changing male to female, though I might need male to old male later
on as well. The parameters this function offers are these:
bass pitch: minimum pitch to consider
high pitch: Highest pitch to consider
Vowel change (1.0 = normal, 1.1 for male to female)
Pitch factor (1.0 = normal)
speed factor (1.0 = normal)
   So what could I do to get a clearer tone quality. Raise the sample rate?
Prefilter the voice signal (bandpass), compress the volume range? Record with
more bit depth than necessary? what are your ideas on this subject?
   Warmly yours
           Julien