[LAU] hdsp not happy with recent kernels

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Thu Sep 13 22:51:42 UTC 2012

On Thu, September 13, 2012 2:08 pm, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On 09/13/2012 01:56 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

>>> The universal default response to any problem with audio on linux is
>>> not
>>> "remove pulseaudio". Sometimes there are audio problems that have
>>> __nothing__ to do with pulse audio! Let's try to do some debugging
>>> instead of guessing, please.
>>
>> Ubuntu Studio Precise ships with a jack-pulseaudio-bridge. Of course, my
>> RME card can record, but not play when pulseaudio runs, but with the
>> Ubuntu Studio Precise default, this running bridge thingy, my RME PCIe
>> card didn't work.
>
> Thanks for the explanation... I still find it hard to believe that pulse
> audio will make the RME card fail _in the way it was described in the
> thread_, but of course everything is possible.

It depends how pulse is set up. If pulse is also connected to the internal
card (that is the internal card is not turned off in pulse) Then the pulse
jacksink/source modules will hold jack to whatever that internal card is
doing. I have had good success using the pulse-jack bridging provided jack
is the only input/output pulse sees. As soon as pulse sees other i/os I
have problems. Pulse has to be able to lock to jack or the other way
around for things to work with the bridge. I started by just unloading the
pulse jackdetect module which seems to work too. (this is a way of using
internal sound for desktop and jack for other things)

Len

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net