[LAU] First impressions of MusE 2.0

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Sep 14 08:56:54 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-09-14 at 10:26 +0200, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:
> I think one of the best design strategies for available icons and their
> placement is the one in the Mozilla software (Firefox, Thunderbird etc.)

Compliment to Rui, IMO the best idea is to be able do undock, not to
dock and to dock groups of icons, as it can be done with Qtractor.

> I do love jack transport

I like cycle play and cycle record, with Linux nearly impossible,
virtual MIDI synth and hw MIDI and audio tracks tend to run out of sync.
By Jack transport it's completely impossible.

> which clearly has been copied by Cubase

This concept is much older than Cubase and has advantages for some music
styles. Clips and "Ghost"-clips make it easy to keep some individual
parts, the clips, but to change the "ghost"-clips at different song
positions, by just editing one of the ghost-clips (for Qtractor clips
are different file_names.mid and the ghost-clips "is" one file.mid).
File management for Qtractor could be better. That it's possible for
Rosegarden to save different song versions is a "+" for Rosegarden, for
Qtractor this only theoretically is possible, in practice it's quasi
impossible.

When I tested Muse a long time ago, I noticed the most intuitive
workflow of all Linux sequencers, but it was the most unstable Linux
sequencer at the same time. I'm curios who Muse2 will work.

Regards,
Ralf