[LAU] OT: hdsp not happy with recent kernels

Kaj Ailomaa zequence at mousike.me
Fri Sep 14 23:08:15 UTC 2012

On Sat, 15 Sep 2012 01:03:31 +0200, Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:

> On Fri, September 14, 2012 3:27 pm, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
>> Apologize, I asked the wrong question, resp. forget a second question.
>> How do I make pulseaudio aware, that there's a RME card too. The GUI for
>> Ubuntu Studio Precise only noticed my 2 Envy24 cards, but didn't show
>> the RME card.
>>
>> Btw. I'm just asking out of curiosity, I won't install pulseaudio and I
>> always will remove it from fresh installs, assumed those force to
>> install pulseaudio. Even if pulseaudio shouldn't cause trouble, I have
>> no use for it.
>
> Pulse is one of those magical auto, do everything things that thinks for
> you... It should see every ALSA device. (should is a dirty word) I don't
> have any RME HW to play with though, just an ensoniq (for MIDI only) and
> D66 (envy24) on the desktop and a netbook with internal and USB for MIDI
> or Audio (I haven't tried plugging in both the USB audio and MIDI IFs) I
> don't really know.

PA doesn't see all Alsa devices by default. Exactly why, I'm not going to
try explain, but the way I was informed:
PA needs a interface it can understand, such as stereo, 5.1, 7.1, etc.
Multichannel devices often are not recognized by PA, and so was the case
with the ice1712(envy24) chip earlier. Was fixed some time ago.