[LAU] Time for a new netbook. Advice?

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at znmeb.net
Sat Sep 15 16:47:28 UTC 2012

I have an Asus U64E BAL5 (about a year old). $600, 750GB hard drive,
8GB RAM, dual-core (hyperthreaded) Intel i5 2.3 GHz, comes with
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit but runs every major Linux since
openSUSE 12.1, including Ubuntu, Fedora, Linux Mint. Only Linux issue
when I got it a year ago was the touchpad - older kernels see it as a
PS/2 mouse. The audio and WiFi work just fine and my ancient USB gamer
headset does as well. It weighs about five pounds. I picked this one
over all the others mostly because it was the only reasonably priced
model with 8 GB. There may be more now.

One note - if you're going to buy a Windows laptop and dual-boot it
(or blow away Windows entirely) I'd get one before the Windows 8
machines start coming out. The "secure boot / UEFI" situation isn't
clear at all. Both Fedora and Ubuntu have a "plan" for dealing with
that, but a plan is not the same thing as a supported, engineered
solution. And last time I looked, openSUSE was still formulating a
plan.

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 11:59 AM, david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com> wrote:
> Hmmm, maybe look at small laptops instead of just netbooks? They're not as
> cheap as netbooks, but have much more power. I don't think any netbook
> approaches laptop performance.
>

> On 09/14/2012 08:31 AM, Jeff Sandys wrote:
>>
>> Ken, L2ORK uses the MSI Wind U100 notebook.
>> MSI computers is a sponsor of the pd-l2ork project.
>> -- Jeff Sandys
>>
>>> It's time to finally retire my 2008-vintage EEE 1000 netbook, and get one
>>> with a faster processor and dual cores.
>>>
>>> I won't need it for music-- the old one was plenty powerful enough for
>>> what I was doing anyway-- but I need it for work, and, java runs like an
>>> absolute pig on the old EEE (as does Firefox, and Chromium, and just about
>>> anything modern).

>>> Any advice on a fast (approaching laptop performance) netbook?
>

> --
> David
> gnome at hawaii.rr.com
> authenticity, honesty, community
> http://clanjones.org/david/
> http://dancing-treefrog.deviantart.com/

Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb; Computational Journalism Publishers
Workbench: http://j.mp/QCsXOr

How the Hell can the lion sleep with all those people singing "A weem
oh way!" at the top of their lungs?