[LAU] MIDI keyboard not recognized

jy jypllx at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 20:23:18 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I re-read the whole thread. So basically, for now and looking at the
various logs, there's something ALSA related that's not clear but I'm not
sure wether it's modules or something else.

This is my kernel version : Linux 3.2.0-23-lowlatency-pae #31-Ubuntu SMP
PREEMPT Wed Apr 11 04:07:36 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Here's basically what we know so far :
 * keyboard is detected, it's present in both lsusb and amidi -l. Qjackctl
lists it as hw:1 in the interface list.
 * snd_usb_audio is present and loaded
 * snd_seq_midi is missing (as says modinfo) but some people say that it's
not necessary. I tried to load it manually (sudo modprobe snd_seq_midi) but
a fatal error occurs saying there's no such module. After a quick look, I
found that I have snd-seq-midi-emul and snd-seq-midi-event modules. I'm
deducing from these names that snd-seq-midi is actually installed but it
might have changed name slightly.
 * usbcore is also missing. I tried to load it manually (sudo modprobe
usbcore) but nothing happens. Looking at the ALSA pages, there seems to be
no usbcore module but a usbaudio one (supposed to handle both audio and
MIDI hardware) which is not present. See http://alsa.opensrc.org/Usb-audio
 * when running jack with no midi driver and use a2jmidid -e instead, the
keyboard does not appear in the MIDI tab.

Here's what I discovered after a little search :
 * There's seems to be something wrong with my audio card setup. I can see
three devices with aplay -l but only 2 in the qjackctl settings, one of
them with a different name. I might wanna try to reinstall the audio
drivers Realtek ACL888.

So basically, the strangest thing is probably that ALSA properly recognizes
the keyboard (amidi -l sees it) whereas a2jmidid -e does not.

Any idea on this one ? Where would a2jmidid go look for ALSA midi ports ?

Thank !!

jy