[LAU] sync jack as slave to external mtc or mmc

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Fri Sep 21 19:16:38 UTC 2012

Chris,
please don't top-post.

On 09/21/2012 08:58 PM, Christian Bunge wrote:
[message re-arranged to avoid top-posting]

> Am 21.09.2012 20:35, schrieb Egor Sanin:
>>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/jackmtc/
>>
>> Yeah, I'm really lagging with this project.  I had the same MTC-sync
>> need, but I ran into some technical issues and I've been too busy with
>> work to get back to it.  Soon though...
>>

> Hi,
> yes I found it. But I could not compile it on ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS, get
> a lot of errors.
>
> chris

give
https://ltcsmpte.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/ltcsmpte/ltc2amidi/trunk/
a try. It includes two tools:

jack2amidi and jack2jmidi which send jack-transport as MTC to an
ALSA-MIDI or JACK-MIDI port respectively.

libltcsmpte is in debian and the tools may readily be available on
Ubuntu, I don't know.

caveat: run jackd at a small frames/period rate e.g 64 fpp or 128, the
period size should smaller than audio-frame/video-frame.

IIRC Egor's jackmtc has or had the same issue that it can skip SMPTE
frames if the SMPTE-frame-duration / jack-frames-per-period > 1.0.

Cheers!
robin