[LAU] sync jack as slave to external mtc or mmc

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Sep 21 19:36:05 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-09-21 at 20:17 +0200, Ch.Bunge wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> I want do sync my old atari programs with mtn/mmc to jack.
>
> I did some experiments with ardour rosegarden and muse. Start and stop
> commandos work, but all programs don't synchronize the tempo.
> Is there a program that can sync jack as slave to external mtc or midi
> clock?

I tested this a long time ago with the last version of Steinberg Cubase.
It doesn't work with most Linux apps, but IIRC it did work with at least
one app. Ardour, Rosegarden, Hydrogen or Qtractor, in one direction.
IIRC the Atari was master. No MMC, but MTC.

IIRC there are three ways MTC can sync, that's why sync not only with
Linux often fails. If MTC doesn't work, perhaps MIDI clock is ok with
your software. Another option might be to record SMPTE from the Atari to
an audio track and then run the ATARI as SMPTE slave, assumed you've got
a SMPTE interface and your Atari's software does support SMPTE.

My Cubase does support SMPTE, since you can't buy it anymore, you might
test if SMPTE also does work for cracked versions, if you shouldn't own
Cubase. The legal version I own has some features that the cracked
versions don't have, but usually cracks are stable too.

Ah, I was mistaken, Ardour has to be MTC master, I found this:
http://lists.64studio.com/pipermail/64studio-users/2008-October/001878.html

Hth,
Ralf