[LAU] [OT]: El cheapo, el-almost-stupido MP3-player

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Fri Sep 21 21:59:56 UTC 2012

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Julien Claassen <julien at mail.upb.de> wrote:

> Hello mates!
>   I've already lookd elsewhere. My MP3 player broke, but since I travel so
> much I'm really attached to it. Now I'm blind and thus hate displays by
> nature. I also dislike menus a lot, since you so easily get lost in them. I
> had a Creative Zenstone (one of the old models) so far. What I could do and
> am very attached to:
> increase/decrease volume
> previous/next track
> forward/rewind (could ease up on that)
> next folder
> play/pause/off

i have a samsung clip+ with a 32GB flash card and rockbox installed. it
does everything you say, with the possible exception of next folder
(depends a bit on the mode the screen is in).

 one notable problem is that the volume control is notoriously physically
weak, and just as on so many others, one of the directions on mine is
broken. you can adjust volume via other controls, but the vol control
itself has become 1 way only. the thing was cheap, seems very durable, has
long battery life. also does FM radio and recording. oh, one other thing:
the filesystem representation is a bit of a pain. you don't see the
internal 2GB and whatever flash card you insert as a single filesystem,
though rockbox will manage them as a single database of music. this makes
copying music to it a bit more complex unless you want to (a) waste the 2GB
or (b) leave the 2GB with fixed, unchanging content.