[LAU] Ninja Step 2012

S. Massy lists at wolfdream.ca
Sun Sep 23 20:48:08 UTC 2012

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 02:49:35PM +0100, Dan MacDonald wrote:
> Hi LAU!
>
> I've been a frequent poster to this list over the last few years yet
> I've never had any Linux-made productions online that I wanted to
> admit to before now but this one has already been well received by the
> few who have heard it already so I thought I should share it here so I
> can at least get some feedback off Julian - will he like my synth
> snare or not?? ;)
>
> Ninja Step 2012 is a remake of 'Ninja Step' which was the background
> music from the factory stage of Super / Revenge of Shinobi on the
> Megadrive (or Genesis as it was known in Northern America). ROS was
> one of the first games released from the Megadrive and it also had
> some of the best music on a 16-bit video game, thanks to the stellar
> chip tune skills of Yuzo Koshiro who most famously went on to do the
> music for the Streets of Rage series - another definite highlight in
> video game music history.
>
> I created this track with qtractor, Aspect, samplv1 and mhwaveedit.
> Its the first track I have created with Aspect and samplv1 and my
> second qtractor production - my first qtractor track used Noisemaker
> and Highlife instead. I created this mainly to see how well Aspect and
> samplv1 work (together, under qtractor) and they've passed with flying
> colours - well after Rui fixed an issue in samplv1. I didn't
> experience any real issues with Aspect creating this track except for
> the minor inconvenience of its window disappearing when I open one of
> its drop-downs but this is a qtractor issue as it doesn't happen under
> Carla.
>
> I'm very impressed with Aspect for a few reasons. Its kinda sad I've
> ended up throwing in the all-FLOSS DAW towel and buying a commercial
> synth although I think its worth every penny and I'm happy to pay to
> show my thanks to Loomer for being 1 of 2 (out of a potential 1000's)
> commercial plugin devs to support Linux. You get free upgrades and
> support for life, its full GUI fits on my netbook display and with
> about 15 instances of it (as in Ninja Step 2012) I get no xruns and
> less than 15% CPU use on my 3/4 year old 2Ghz core2 duo laptop and
> thats just running the stock Deb Wheezy kernel. Sadly there is no real
> FLOSS (or even non-free actually) alternative to Aspect yet although
> I'm confident that won't be the case forever.
>
> Thanks for listening!
>
> http://soundcloud.com/danmacdonald
Dan,
In general, I think it's helpful to provide a direct link so that people
can download and listen to the piece more easily. If you don't have time
or don't want to host the file yourself, you can always enable the piece
to be downloadable on soundcloud and provide a direct link to which one
simply needs append "/download" to retrieve it.

Cheers,
S.M.