[LAU] sample rate differences

Brent Busby brent at keycorner.org
Thu Sep 27 09:13:44 UTC 2012

Most of the documentation for Jack says that one should set Jack for a
prefered sample rate, and then try to make sure all your apps connect at
that rate.  The problem is, much as one may prefer to work at 48kHz,
it's not very likely you'll just be able to get every app to use it,
especially programs like LinuxSampler that may be using Gigasampler
libraries that are at 44.1kHz.  If you prefer to run your hardware at
96kHz, you may be in a world where almost nothing but your own DAW
tracks use that frequency.

How do you all handle sampling frequency differences between apps in a
Jack session.  Most of the advice I see to simply "make sure that all
your apps are set the same" doesn't seem very realistic.

+ Sr. UNIX Systems Admin +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ James Franck Institute +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ Materials Research Ctr +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky