[LAU] What is the best MP3 encoder?

Peder Hedlund peder at musikhuset.org
Tue Apr 2 07:31:26 UTC 2013

Quoting "Jostein Chr. Andersen" <jostein at vait.se>:

> On 03/29/2013 08:27 AM, Leigh Dyer wrote:
>> On 29/03/13 3:05 AM, Jostein Chr. Andersen wrote:
>
>> In fact, I'd honestly be surprised if you really are hearing a
>> difference, or hearing the differences you think you're hearing. Doing a
>> proper ABX test, using a tool like Squishyball, could be very
>> instructive here --

> Never underestimate other peoples ears. This subtle differences are IE.
> often the thing that makes esses annoying or not and I have sometimes
> recived  negative feedback about it. Mixing is often to be near the
> borders and it's easy to do it wrong.

Over at HydrogenAudio they have a rule that you aren't allowed to talk
about hearing differences between audio files unless you can prove it
in an ABX test.
You really should try doing one and check if you *really* can hear the
difference between the original wav and an mp3 produced by, say, "lame
-V4" ( which would be ~160kbps) or if it's just your mind fooling you
into thinking you can. Never underestimate the power of belief :)

If you really can I'm sure the people over at HydrogenAudio and others
would love to have you helping out in testing new releases of lame and
other encoders.

  - Peder