[LAU] What is the best MP3 encoder?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Apr 2 10:55:55 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-04-02 at 12:13 +0200, Raffaele Morelli wrote:
> Too many variables are involved in music listening, more than the
> "statistic pornografy" of an ABX test can take into accunt IMO
> (university degree in statistics).

Correct, science does know "change blindness", but as mentioned before,
I experienced also "change deafness" (seems to be a term in English too,
but I don't know it from German psychology).

If you add an instrument, e.g. a cowbell or if you change a note played
by a kick, by a 1/16 note, many non-musicians don't notice a difference,
for a musician it could be a very hard and unmistakable difference.

People who are educated in listening, do listen completely different to
music. To notice a difference has less to do with the quality of the
ears, as long as the ears aren't damaged, education makes the big
difference.

I noticed that people who are educated in listening to music, do listen
quasi very seldom to music, at least compared to the less educated
listeners. Averaged people turn on a radio where ever they are, what
ever they do and listen to what ever they blast, more musical educated
people seldom consume music that way.