[LAU] What is the best MP3 encoder?

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Apr 2 12:08:21 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 7:55 AM, Jostein Chr. Andersen <jostein at vait.se>wrote:

> When you say that less than 10% of the population can hear the difference,
> I believe you, but I have problem to see what this have to do with my case.
> Producer's and engineers often want to hear a pre-mix or examples in MP3
> and DropBox is a common tool for this, and I can assure you that many of
> them belongs to the 10% club.

no, this is also not true. they want to *think* they are in the 10%, but
they are not. its a common woo belief that you can "train" the ear to hear
these differences and people who work in audio like to think they've done
so. the current understanding of the ability to hear the differences,
however, is not based on "training" but physiological abilities of the
inner ear. double blind tests of discrimination including self-classified
"golden ears" doesn't show them to substantively better than a random
population sample.