[LAU] price vs. sound - was - What is the best MP3 encoder?

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Tue Apr 2 14:02:52 UTC 2013

On Tue, April 2, 2013 6:29 am, Florian Paul Schmidt wrote:
> On 04/02/2013 02:35 PM, Peder Hedlund wrote:

>> The same was true for a Stradivarius and a cheap beginners violin,
>> though IIRC the violin player was correct.

There is a difference between electric guitars (solid body) and acoustic
instruments. Though certainly good PUs make a difference. (noisy pots
don't help either)

> I found that for classical guitars it's significantly higher though: In
> the 1500-2500 euro range (I only found this out because I got the chance
> to play some really nice classicals). A guitar student of mine likes my
> 250 euro yamaha classical guitar better than either the Hans Herb I had
> for a while or the Bertrand Martin I play at the moment (they were lent

I actually like the sound of the guitars I have made in Quebec that are
sub $500 over some more expensive acoustics. They have a very live sound,
I think because there is a very thin coat of finish. I have both classical
and folk instruments. I have a more expensive Yamaha 12 string that sounds
no better than the $100 El Degas plywood model I had when I was 16. (which
was very playable and sounded ok, but was picked as the only good one out
of a rack of 10 or more)

The big difference is that my cheaper guitars are not finished as well as
the more costly guitars... things like nut and fret ends not rounded as
nice etc.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net