[LAU] Looking: cheap analog in to ADAT out converter

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Apr 2 23:35:53 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-04-02 at 22:20 +0200, Julien Claassen wrote:
> ADA8000

Excellent homestudio sound, cheap switches, cheap connectors, absolutely
bad power supply, as often mentioned by others and me, you can't mount
it to a rack. The switching power supply of my Behringer mixer died
after the warranty expired, it died for many other users too, because
the capacitors used were for a lower voltage. This is a trick known by
consumer protection, I never heard something about Behringer by consumer
protection, but about the capacitor trick in general. I never had issues
with Yamaha, Roland etc. pp., but always with Behringer. OTOH, I always
would buy Behringer gear again, including the ADA8000, since the
value-for-money ratio is ok. Non of my branded gear ever failed that
easy as Behringer gear failed, but it was much more expensive.

Current price at Thofrau for the ADA8000 is 199,- EUR. Thofrau gives a 3
years warranty, so you quasi pay 5.53 EUR each month, to get something
that at least should last for 3 years. Since my sound card isn't well
supported by Linux I don't have much recording experiences using the
ADA8000, but it seems to be the most used ADAT device on this planet.

If you wouldn't buy one device after the other, but buy several devices
at once, you could haggle the price down ;), for Behringer gear just 10
Cents, but for a synth perhaps 20 or more EUR, so for a bundle it could
be much money.