[LAU] ABX test (was Re: What is the best MP3 encoder?)

Raffaele Morelli raffaele.morelli at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 06:18:25 UTC 2013

2013/4/3 Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>:
> I guess I _never_ failed a blind test, but that's not important. Most
> people are comfortable with MP3s, but if I talk to them and point them
> to the lossy parts, they're able to notice the loss too, they are
> usually not annoyed by the loss.
>
> Tests with uneducated people are useless, those tests just should ensure
> how far the industry could go.

This is just your personal and *uneducated* (ie. wrong) opinion.

ABX tests are double blind statistics tests, double blind tests are
widely, massively used in medical statistics to test drug treatments
against a disease (eg. tumor).

The goal is to ensure that treatment A is better than B, and "blind"
stand for "the patient is not aware of the treatment he receives so
variability is not conditioned from psychology" and morover the doctor
is not aware of what the patient was given (the drug or a placebo).

What you call "uneducated" is the assupmtion which the test relies on.

Don't spread misconception.

/r

--
L'unica speranza di catarsi, ammesso che ne esista una, resta affidata
all'istinto di ribellione, alla rivolta non isterilita in progetti,